NHS Research Ethics Committees (RECs) can review research that falls within one or more of the following categories:
- research taking place in more than one domain;
- clinical trials of investigational medicinal products (CTIMPs) apart from phase 1 CTIMPs in healthy volunteers only. (Our Central Allocation Service (CAS) can identify availability of agenda slots at meetings of NHS Type 1 RECs which are able to review phase 1 CTIMPs in healthy volunteers);
- research involving medical devices;
- research involving prisoners;
- research involving adults lacking capacity;
- establishing research tissue banks;
- projects funded by the US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS);
- establishing research databases.
Research which is included or falls outside these categories is booked for ethical review in different ways: see the Booking your REC application section.